Turning

Subject:
More detail.....

Barry Irby
I have had these for years. I had the early standard blades with the square tips, I think, and sent them somewhere and "they" ground them to a diamond/Vee point. (I'm a little vague on this, it's been a long time.) Later I loaned them to a fellow and he ground them down from the top and ground away all of the hardened metal. They were were worthless. Also, they were not properly curved when I got them and a friend and I rebent them and worked well until the guy ruined them. Mike hunter intervened and I sent the knives to him and he installed a diamond shaped cutter on each of them. This was a generous offer on his part. Either he did not charge me or charged me a nominal amount. The problem is the cutter is not wide enough. It may have worked better if they had install a square turned to present a point. The cutter needs to cut a kerf wider than the blade and it does not. I have battled my way through two cores and it was a fight.

I looked at buying new blades but a set of three looks' like it would be over $200. Somehow, this system has been cursed from day one and I am uncertain about spending several hundred dollars to resurrect it.

PS. I was wondering if the cutters were dull so I decided to reverse them to see if they work any better. I can't get the d@mn screws out. I have the little torx driver Mike sent me. Should I soak them with PB Blast or something?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081