Turning

Subject:
Jamie, here are some thoughts...

David Walser

...I've never explored the potential use of hot melt glue, how well does it join together 2 pieces of wood without having a significant amount of glue between 2 flat surfaces? Is excessive squeeze out at the join a problem?

Hot melt glue has excellent gap filling properties. Indeed, that strength can be a disadvantage. Unlike most other glues, hot melt glue remains on the surface of the wood. If you're not careful, the glue can hold the two pieces of wood apart. They'll still be strongly bound together, but the two surfaces will not be in contact with each other.

When used with a glue block, excess squeeze out is not a problem. I typically run a bead of the glue around the perimeter of the glue block and then align the block to the blank and press the two tightly together. (No clamping required. You most likely won't have time to clamp.) I then run another bead around the join, as if I were caulking the joint. (Only, I DON'T run my finger over the 'caulk' to smooth it!)

To remove the glue block, sometimes it's easiest to simply pry it off with a putty knife. However, rubbing alcohol chemically breaks the bond and heat will soften the glue. A combination of the two will usually do the trick. Or, since it's a glue block, you can simply part it off on the lathe.

HTH

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081