Turning

Subject:
Drawbar to hold spindles *PIC*

John K Jordan
>>>Well, once again you've taught me a lot and piqued my curiosity. The 1/4" drawbar was threaded into a hold drilled in the end of #2 Morse taper on the walnut wand?

Thanks. Good clean fun!

Yes, I drilled a hole directly into the wood on the the small #2 morse taper I turned on one end. The drawbar is 1/4" since taper is not very large and I was afraid the larger drawbar would remove too much wood for strength.

In order to thread the wood, I made a "tap" on the end of the drawbar: using a triangular file, I file two or three groves through the threads and into the solid metal of the threaded rod. The groves are probably only 1/2" or so in length. I hold the file at a bit of an angle to the axis of the rod for easier filing but this is probably not necessary. I've been making "makeshift" taps like this for years from bolts and machine screws for wood and soft metals and even to clean up steel threads. Handy when you don't have the proper tap on hand! And quick and easy for wood.

I drill the hole slightly under 1/4" then hold the rod firmly and push into the hole in the wood while twisting. To give me a way to grip the threaded rod, I filed a couple of flats on it to hold with a crescent wrench. Once the rod is fastened to the work, I insert it into the headstock and tighten the end with a nut.

BTW, the nut/knob on that drawbar on is simply a turned block of wood with a hole drilled through and threaded with the same drawbar!

BTW2, I made two of the long thin spindles to illustrate the technique without a steady rest, the same method I use for the wands. They taper from about 1/2" down to about 1/16" and are maybe 24" or a little longer. I made the first one from a piece of shelving pine from Home Depot and put a handle on it of a piece of dense Australian tropical wood, Gidgee. Would make a good blackboard pointer! The second one is not handled, to illustrate the morse taper and drawbar technique, but it might make a nice whiteboard pointer!

Without the drawbar it is almost impossible to keep the piece in the headstock when it gets too thin for effective tailstock pressure. I could have held it with a chuck but far prefer the MT.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081