Turning

Subject:
Re: 2 Morse Taper Collets *PIC*
Response To:
Re: 2 Morse Taper Collets ()

John K Jordan
Mr Stafford Sir,

I sure wish you could turn things like you used to, but life goes on. My hands are getting to where the fingers cramp if I work too long on small, detailed things, but for now at least, after a rest and doing something different for a while I can continue.

For anyone who may be interested...

I made a little template to get the taper right the first time (well, sometimes the second time!) but it took a while to make.

These days I use, and teach - since not everyone is going to make a template - two cheap vernier calipers, one for the the high side and one for the low side about 1/2" away. I measure an existing taper at a point a little past where it extends from the headstock taper and one 1/2 inch back. I use 1/2" since the parting tool I use is 1/2" wide and I can hold it against the wood and burnish first one edge then the other and not have to measure! I keep two cheap calipers set to these dimensions, locked down firmly, and labeled "L" and "S" with a red sharpie.

I size both places with the parting tool then by eye remove wood to make a taper, then extend the larger taper a bit for clearance. I find it easier to get right if I remove a bit of wood in between the two ends, thinning it ever so slightly so the wood actually rides on two places in the socket.

As I mentioned, in addition to letting me turn a longer spindle on a small lathe, this method allows perfect registration if I need to remount the piece later to finish. (Difficult or impossible with a 4-jaw scroll chuck.) I've pulled out wands that I started on months before and put them on the lathe and continued where I left off. Sometimes when making a batch I would turn a bunch then leave the sanding and finishing for later.

I do have a PDF on turning thin spindles if anyone wants it - just send me an email. It's is sore need of new photos and some updating but a number of people have told me they made good use of it.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081