Turning

Subject:
Re: Questions on CBN/Alternative grinding wheels

Reed Gray
Well, for the grinder, I went with the 1 hp Rikon, which probably has more than enough power, but I prefer things to be a bit overbuilt rather than under built, or 'just enough'. I abuse my tools. I also have Baldor grinders.

As for wheels, if you get only one, I would get the 180 grit wheels. They will take care of 90% of the sharpening you will ever need to do, and you can hone the other 10%. For sure, the 1 1/2 inch wide wheels. I have never gone off the edge of the 1 1/2 inch wide wheels and put a major divot in the wings of my gouge. I prefer the straight edge wheels. The radius edge does work for hollowing tips, but as near as I can tell, it doesn't do much else.

If you need to do some serious reshaping of a tool, keep the original wheels, or pick up a 36 grit wheel, or use a belt sander with a 36 grit belt on it. An 80 grit CBN wheel still isn't very fast. 60 grit, maybe. Keeping a standard grinding wheel for the softer metals is a good idea. Shovels, axes, screw drivers, bench chisels will all do fine on CBN wheels. Lawn mower blades, are too soft and will load up your wheel. You can clean the wheel by spending some time sharpening scrapers. They are able to peel the softer metal off of the wheel. You can feel it building up on the wheel when it happens. A little lapping fluid does help the build up come off.

robo hippy

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081