Turning

Subject:
Re: The CBN wheels I like

RP
I got my CBN wheels yesterday from Ken Rizza. I got an 80 and 600. I got the spherical washer sets with them. I refigured and installed my Vari-grind to the midpoint of the wheels. I installed the wheels on the grinder. I turned it on and it just ran fine. No vibration, other than what I'd expect from a running motor. I think I could have stood up a nickel on it's edge on top of the grinder.
I think it's fine. I don't know how you determine "unacceptable" runout on a grinder.
I remeasured the shaft several times before the wheels came. I used oil on the shaft to allow the dial indicator foot to glide over the surface. The detected runout was maybe 2-3 needle widths. My needle on my dial indicator twists 90 degrees so you see the edge (not the face) of the needle. Once I zero the indicator, the next tic mark is .001". My needle moved less than .00025". Maybe even closer to .0001".
Bottom line, my grinder is not dancing around. I get a great edge. Not knowing what the tolerances were before my mishap, I think it's okay.
Thank you all for your assistance, especially you John K. Jordan.
RP

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081