Turning

Subject:
I agree with Dick, but offer
Response To:
I have a vacuum pump.... ()

Keith Newton
I fooled around with this idea a long time ago, and like you look for cheap ways. If there are any big flat areas to the chamber, collapse is more likely with a good vacuum pump. What I finally came up with, was one of those tanks used in well houses all around the country. They have an air bladder inside, which keeps the pump from starting and stopping so often, but I discarded it when I cut the top off.

I just used an abrasive wheel in my circular saw, cutting about 2" down below the dome. I searched around for a rubber gasket to seal around my cut with now luck, then finally just put the top back on and went around it with duct tape. The tape works great at making a good seal, and is easy to use.

These tanks already have threaded penetrations making the plumbing easy for hooking a vacuum hose up.

As for saving on the cost of epoxy or juice. Back when I was doing a lot of turning, I was experimenting to speed up drying rough turned blanks, by filling the inside with a plastic bag of warm sand, put that inside another plastic bag, down in a container, then filling in around the blank with more warm sand. Then drawing a high vacuum but allowing some air to leak in so the steam would be taken away.

I was also thinking about bringing a vinyl tube through the little threaded hole in the top once used to fill the air bladder, this would allow the fluid to be drawn in from my mixing container right to the most punky part. It wouldn't be that hard to figure the volume needed to permeate a zone to prevent waste.

Some of the experiments I had done before worked better by releasing the vacuum after it was in the fluid, so the air space within the wood would draw the fluid in as the pressure came back up, in several cycles.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081