Turning

Subject:
Scrapers . . . *LINK*

Doc Green
I've turned a lot of rolling pins (big, straight spindles with handles) and my go-to tool when I get near the final diameter is a scraper of some sort. The scraper might be the wing of a bowl gouge, a traditional scraper used in the shear scraping mode, or a round-nose scraper with an included angle of about 35 degrees.

The thing that led me to scrapers was . . . the ripples, as described above.

No matter which type of scraper I use, it cuts and makes shavings as opposed to simply scraping (abraiding) the wood away. This requires proper sharpening, of course.

For refining the surface of a spindle, shear scraping with a traditional scraper with a proper burr made with a diamond hone is hard to beat.

An excellent tool is a scraper with an included angle of about 35 degrees sharpened to a knife edge with no burr. It will cut, make shavings, and leave a good surface. Further, the depth of cut is pressure sensitive - press harder for a deeper cut. Or, use a very light pressure to remove just a wisp of wood.

This tool is described about half-way through this article:

https://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/scrapers3.html

The details of shear scraping and sharpening a traditional scraper are covered in two articles prior to the one linked above.

Good Luck!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081