Turning

Subject:
been there, done that; fixed it.

GaryG in MD
I had a time when my CA pen finishes were cracking, and it drove me NUTZ!

I went online and searched and read and searched and read... there were lots of people having the same problem, but I never heard a good solution. I expect I asked here on WC too, to no avail.

I did everything "right" according to the likes of Barry Gross, Kurt Herzog, etc. (both in person!). I still got maddening spider-web cracks -- sometimes immediately, and sometimes a day later. Needless to say, the latter later were super maddening. I eventually switched to lacquer, even though it took a log longer. At least I got good results for the time spent.

We have a guy in my club who makes and sells pens professionally -- with a CA finish -- so I picked his brain. We came up with a solution, and it is THE solution. I am now making pens successfully again with a CA finish with 100% success.

The difference, or the problem if you will, is extremely subtle. In short, the problem was too much accelerator. For my failures, I was holding the aerosol can about 8 inches from the work. For my successes, I now hold the aerosol can about 12 inches away, and I'm perhaps a bit more conservative with my sprays.

That's it. Period. Very simple, but very subtle. The bottom line is:
STAY VERY LIGHT WITH THE ACCELERATOR.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081