Turning

Subject:
Re: Sharpening jig alternative

Chuck Engstrom
It has some clever features, like the set-up blocks for establishing gouge grinds, but then you are tied to their idea of what the grinds should be. This may be helpful to beginners but as time goes by you'll be wanting to try other ideas.

I can pretty much promise you that the #10 x 5/8" wood screws provided for holding down the base under each wheel will NOT be adequate for very long at all, especially since they go through an oversized slot rather than through a fitted hole. The Oneway bases have three holes each, sized for #10 screws, and I don't use wood screws, I use machine screws through the plywood base into T-nuts with a dab of thread-lock. Consistent results with this or Wolverine require that you get a firm grip on the sliding element (Oneway calls it the Vee-Arm), and that often requires a good hard thwack with the heel of your hand so it doesn't slip and change your angle while you're in the midst of grinding. With those little screws it will start shifting around in a month of use.

You will not regret the extra time you put into setting a grinder up with T-nuts and careful alignment all around. As the saying goes, if you don't think you have the time to do it right the first time, when do you think you'll have time to fix it?

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081