Turning

Subject:
Re: chuck jaw question
Response To:
chuck jaw question ()

John K Jordan
>>>Is there such a thing as a "normal" #1 set of jaws that covers my desired range?
If so, who makes them and where can I find them?

Gary,

I have no idea what #1 and #2 jaws are. I don't see where you said what kind of chucks you use.

I use Nova chucks and have nineteen chucks at the moment with a variety of Nova jaws mounted so I don't have to change jaws. I keep multiple chucks with the jaws I use the most. I haven't found anything yet that won't fit in one set or another but I can't recommend specific jaws unless you use Nova chucks. I don't think Teknatool/Nova labels jaws as #1, #2, #3, etc.

I do have pin jaws I use a lot but they are not long. I use Nova's 25mm, 35mm and 45mm jaws a lot as well for smaller tenons. I don't know if all chuck brands are the same but the range of the jaws differs slightly depending on the chuck model since the slides open a bit further on some. (I have some of the G3, SN, SN2, and Titan chucks, mostly use the SN2) When turning something with a tenon I turn the tenon to fit the jaws I want to use since I want it to fit very close to the closed diameter for the most secure grip.

What kinds of things do you mostly turn and what brand of jaws?

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081