Turning

Subject:
Monitor calibration

John K Jordan
>>>John, my laptop needs a color balance adjustment that I didn't realize until I saw this photo on some other screens. It is way on the red side overall

I wondered about that but most display hardware seems pretty good these days.

When I was doing 3D modeling and graphics and photo stuff for a living we were paranoid about color. The color monitors (mostly CRTs at first) were carefully calibrated. We used profiles to make sure files sent to the printers matched what was on the monitors.

I would periodically send files to others then go see what it looked like on their monitors. Easier today with web pages. This doesn't prove my monitor is right but gives a better feeling that it's not far from what most people are seeing.

Just yesterday I found a box on my shelf with a professional monitor calibration device - this uses an electronic color photo sensor stuck to the monitor with a suction cup. The software created a monitor profile automatically. Can't remember, the software probably ran in Windows NT or earlier.

You can adjust a monitor manually, first by adjusting the black and white points and grey by displaying calibrated grey scale image files, then do the same to balance the color. The important thing about a monitor is to adjust it in the same room light, both intensity and color, that it will be typically used when working.

I used to have all the files and instructions but when I searched for calibrate color monitor Sir Google gave lots of reading material.

PS: I just googled spyder pantone colorvision optical and see you can still get the the monitor calibrator I have, probably revised numerous times. The really nice thing is the price has dropped so much it's relatively free now! I see other options too.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081