Turning

Subject:
color cast *PIC*

John K Jordan
I agree with John - use different lights. I used to use photo incandescent bulbs but they are hot, expensive, and don't last long.

A few years ago I found some full-spectrum daylight photo CFLs I still use today, supplemented with LEDs for highlights. (Some LEDs these days are really good!) These are the only lights in a dark room. The color is generally good unless I forget and leave even one other light on then I'll get colored shadows. Also, I make sure there is no daylight from a window, just in case.

What kind of camera do you use? Some have auto white balance which can cause problems as it tries to adjust the color for you as it meters the wood subject. Some have hard-to-find options which can help.

The Olympus camera I used to use required setting the white balance. The Canon 70D I use now is pretty good in the auto mode - I've done test and see no improvement with setting a custom white balance with the lights I use now.

Sometimes a photo with a color cast can be corrected. I use Photoshop but other programs will do this. (look for Levels or Curves) It's easier to get perfect if you put a grey card somewhere in the photo (usually on the edge or on the side of a second photo with the same subject and lighting) but adjustment can be done by eye to get close. (Grey card is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Anwenk-Grey-White-Balance-Large/dp/B074W1VF2Y)

This is how I shoot woodturnings and other small things:

The frame is PVC pipe, thin white cloth pinned on, a piece of grey mat board from the framing shop curved up in back for a seamless background, always use a tripod. I'm certainly no expert but this works for me.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081