Turning

Subject:
V gouges, NRS, and etc. *PIC*

John K Jordan
Hi Mike, nice to "see" you again!

I like the Thompson gouges. I can't find a diagram or photo of the cross section of his "V" gouge but could probably take a picture if that would help.

His web site has a photo but not shot directly from the end.
http://thompsonlathetools.com/product-category/bowl-gouges/

I see you've discovered the joy of the big curved NRS! I have too, and have been using them for a while, ground from Thompson scrapers and skew chisel.

I ground most of mine a bit different than the "other guys". Instead of a curved end I grind an almost flat on the end. Since the nearly flat end scrapes a wider area at once it lets me remove tool marks (and any tear out) far easier on shallow curves, nearly flats, and especially wings when cutting air. Scraping with the flat can bring down the just the high spots and I find using the tool straight on to the work makes the fine control easy, even for a first-time student.

I like how these scrapers work so well that I grind similar bevels on the tang end of the big scrapers for smaller things (I use all these scrapers handheld since there are no forces involved).

The NRS, followed a bit of smoothing with curved hand (cabinet) scrapers, lets me go from the lathe to a perfect surface with minimal sanding, with zero power sanding with coarse rotating disks. I sometimes just sand by hand or with gentle sanding with fine grits on small pneumatic random orbital sanders as needed. (I haven't used my angle drill for a decade and I think 220 grit is the coarsest I've had to use, usually finer.)

I've been using the curved scrapers cabinet scrapers for a long time but the NRS lets me start the hand scraping on a much smoother surface.

Life is good.

I wrote about all this here, if you want to take a look:
http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/forum/turning.pl/md/read/id/505484/sbj/smoothing-with-scrapers/

BTW, I did grind one NRS with a curve on the end, similar to what the big boys use, to get into an occasional cove where the others can't.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081