Turning

Subject:
From a non-turner...
Response To:
E-Z tools ()

Tony - Memphis
Thought I'd jump in with a different perspective. I am not a turner. I am a furniture builder. I love the EZ tools. I bought them after I had been using regular tools for a while. I don't have the same issue with surface finish and I certainly don't start with 80 grit! (don't own any!). I never really thought of them as a way to avoid sharpening. I can see that I guess.

To qualify, 90% of what I turn is spindle work - furniture parts. I have never had the time to become proficient with turning tools like most of the folks here have. The EZ tools are a quick way to achieve the results I need. Sometimes, they are nice to use for cleaning up a cove or a sharp detail that I am not skilled enough to do with a gouge (and not risk ruining the piece). Can't say that I've ever used them for a whole job - I use a mix of them with the regular tools. Can't say I wouldn't be ok without them either! I do like them though. I also use a beader and a few small coving tools that I made (scrapers too I guess).

I have to agree that I would suggest a beginner use their money on a good set of gouges for their versatility. I enjoy watching the good turners do amazing things with one gouge! That's talent!

Tony

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081