Turning

Subject:
Re: Starbond CA
Response To:
Re: Starbond CA ()

Bill Blasic
I have used Starbond for years. I only use thin as the shelf life of thick CA is not very long in comparison to thin. Medium is slightly better than thick. I did an article for the American Woodturner in 2011 and had over 30 different CA glues. All stated a 1 year shelf life except Titebond which stated a two year shelf life. After the review all were kept in the freezer (some still are). I had in two cases where even being in the freezer the thick solidified. I buy my thin in 16 ounce bottles and keep them in the freezer and they have a very long shelf life there. I more or less only use CA anymore as a finish or for mixing saw dust to fill cracks. If I need to stick two pieces of wood together I use 5 minute epoxy. In reality with all those different CA glues I have used I have not found one significantly better than another. I use Starbond mainly because they are at every AAW Symposium and I can buy two 16 ounce bottles there and do not worry about shipping. I'm sure that like all woodturning things everybody has their favorites.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081