Turning

Subject:
Also... *PIC*

John K Jordan
I can't remember if I made it clear - I turn the lathe by hand not only for the initial introduction with the skew but for every tool introduced - roughing gouge, spindle gouge, bowl gouge, scrapers.

* I show the new tool and demonstrate the use with some cuts.

* With the lathe I show how to present it to the wood and how NOT to present it!

* With the wood still stationary the student holds the tool to the wood and I correct stance, angles, rotation, etc.

* I turn the lathe by hand and they explore what it takes to make a shaving.
They learn what motions make very fine shavings and which can make deeper cuts and what things can cause disasters!

* After a few minutes of this (or until I'm convinced they understand), we turn the lathe on slowly then gradually faster. I watch every move and warn and correct as needed to prevent problems - depth of cut, possible catch situations, stance and posture, smooth motion, etc. If they have trouble with anything we back up, even back to the lathe off if needed.

I think this lets method them get comfortable with each of the very different types of tools.

I don't stick with just one of each tool, for example, just one skew. After they are comfortable with with one skew I hand them another and another to try. This lets them feel the difference and sometimes find they can work better with one size, bevel angle, or edge profile than another. When we move to doing the first project they can then use the tool(s) they are more comfortable with.

Hey, I knew there was a good reason to have 12 skews, 6 rouging gouges, .... :)

Oh, and we stress safety and health from the very first. Now these girls won't work without safety glasses, respirators, and the DC on where appropriate.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081