Turning

Subject:
Hunter Tools

Jake niedling
Well I finally bought a couple of Mike Hunter tools at the TAW sysposium. I bought the # 2 osprey and a # 1 viceroy (1/2"). I know several folks like John Lucas, John K. Jordan and mike stafford talk very positively about the Hunter tools. So I finally decided to give them a try. Now I'm a pretty traditional turner and very efficient with skews and gouges. I haven't purchased any other carbide tools, since I think they are mostly sharp scrapers and I like to cut the wood. I have used both of the Hunter tools and have to say I was very pleased with the results. The osprey used in a bevel supported cut was very clean with no tearout even across the end grain. I'm still more effient & comfortable using my gouges but certainly see where these tools will be a great addition for getting clean cuts on difficult grain. There is a little learning curve to using the tools. I had to move the tool rest back a little bit from the wood when using the viceroy to get good tool support. . An found out, that you can get a catch with the osprey, if you allow it to cut on the side of the cutter rather than the nose. John Lucas has a couple of YouTube videos that I recommend you review to get a good start. Just wanted to share my experience.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081