Turning

Subject:
Re: Beads & Coves - Best Concept for Teaching? *LINK*

john lucas
It is challenging. turning a bead with a skew or spindle gouge takes 3 movements all happening at once. Rotate the tool, swing the handle and lift the handle. The place where I teach has forced me to change my thinking and how I do it. They have found that people want shorter classes as a basic introduction rather than the weekend or week long, or perhaps to help raise the numbers in the longer classes. To teach a class in 4 hours you don't have time to teach sharpening or bevel rubbing or things that do take practice to learn. So I teach scraping. I know put your fingers in your ears and try not to listen. I used Hunter scraping tools in my last class but the flat scraping tools would also work. You can of course use HSS tools as scrapers, like the skew on it's side or smaller round nose scrapers and flat scrapers. One thing I learned from this is we did everything one step at a time. In other words I don't demo the whole project and turn them loose. I show them, lets make a parting cut here and here and everyone does it. then we show them a bead and everyone does that. This keeps on with each section of the project. we did a fairly complicated candle stand that had beads, coves and hollowed the end just a little. These are 4 hours classes but I liked the concept. No one had any catches the experience was totally fun because there was no stress. Most importantly it got them involved in turning with a good experience. Now if they do take a longer class they will have a good basis for learning the bevel rubbing cuts because I did spend a lot of time talking about cutting downhill with the grain.
Here are my videos on different ways of turning beads and coves. Maybe there will be something in there you can use.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081