Turning

Subject:
Re: Jet 1442 Question
Response To:
Re: Jet 1442 Question ()

Glass Cannon
Thank you for that information, ben d.

I do suspect that the pulleys are worn out in that way, yes.
I am getting a very strong knocking/banging sound about 50% of the time that the lathe is being used, and it seems to be coming from the spindle pulleys (not 100% certain of that, but strongly suspect it).

I should note that I have completely stripped the lathe and lubricated all parts. I've even stripped all of the original paint, repainted it and replaced the original decals/stickers.
It looks very nice now, basically like a brand new one.

I realize that these lathes are not the latest and greatest, but I am very proud to own it, and would like to keep it for as long as I can.

I would love to purchase a modern lathe with electronic variable speed, but I simply cannot afford to do that.

I've very happy with everything about the 1442 (minus the Reeves drive) and I am hoping that a new set of pulleys will last me for quite some time. I have very little money, and cannot afford to replace these more than once or twice, I'm afraid.

I would love to convert the lathe over to a VFD setup, but I am hoping that I can get a few years out of the new pulleys and hold off on that plan for a while.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081