Turning

Subject:
Hunter Viceroy *LINK*

john lucas
Put them to the test this morning. I turned 3 platters. The first one was with my bowl gouge. The second 2 were using the Hunter Viceroy. What an easy tool to use. Won't take a huge cut but since it cuts in both directions it's very fast to shape the platter. After roughing and finalizing the shape I took several light passes with the speed turned up. With the bowl gouge I was able to finish it to the point of using 220 grit. With the Hunter I needed 150. It was actually closer to 180 with only 2 spots requiring 150 or a fair amount of time on the 180. A pretty clean cut but this wood will tearout pretty easily without a really good shear cut.

I think it was actually faster cutting the shape with the Viceroy. It also seemed to chatter less on the outer rim of the platter. I will be turning 5 or 6 more in the next few days and will probably do one with the Hunter Hercules just to learn the difference. I also think I can do a sort of bevel rubbing to control the thickness of the cut on the Viceroy. Not a tilted bevel rubbing cut like the Hercules but just swinging the tool left or right and using the metal below the cutter as a bevel. Sort of like when I use the Cutter guard on my 4" angle grinder as the bevel to limit the cut. I'll try to take a photo or may even try to do a video as a gain more experience with the tool.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081