Turning

Subject:
I did...
Response To:
Speed Sensor? ()

Brian Roberts
I mounted the magnet that triggers the sensor on the outer perimeter of the indexing plate in my PM45 lathe that I upgraded.

It was mounted such that the magnet was spinning in a circle roughly 8-9 inches in diameter.

I had problems with very erratic operation of the sensor and display.....especially as I increased the speed.

The seller replaced it as defective.

Next one.....same problem......hmmmm.....

Finally discovered that the magnet can not be swinging such a large circle....I am assuming it moves past the sensor too quickly.

I remounted the magnet and sensor such that the magnet was spinning a 2.5" diameter path and it works great.

I took the magnet and sensor to work and mounted them on our $20,000 metal lathe to compare my speed read-out to the one on the work lathe.

I was surprised to discover that the two read the same rpm's (within one rpm of each other) UNTIL I increased the speed of the work lathe (I don't remember at what speed it began to fail...it's been a while) then THE DISPLAY ON THE WORK LATHE began to read erratically in the same manner that my setup did before I changed the mounting to a smaller diameter!

My sensor and display, however, remained rock steady....as I had mounted the magnet to a piece of stock about the same 2.5" diameter.

It was quite disappointing to discover that the rpm display on the work lathe was basically defective....by design!

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081