Turning

Subject:
Re: X 2
Response To:
X 2 ()

John C Lucas
Although i agree with Lyle and the others sometimes its not a bad step inbetween. I had an old Jline lathe that was similar to the Delta. It was missi g a tailstock quill and had a bent spindle a d no tool rest. The price was right. A friend turned a new spindle with 1 1/4" ×8 threads. I found a Delta quill that was 1/16 too large. I turned it down to size on the scbool lathe and then made a tool rest. Now i had a much more substantial lathe than the Delta 46_700 pirce of junk. Did some searching and found a DC motor and john jordan controller. That was definitely a step up. Several years later i bkught a used 3 phase motor a d was able to get a VFD at a.reasonable price. Installed that a d then made riser blocks out of MDF for the headstock and tailstock and made a new tool rest. Now i had a 16" lathe with state of the art power. That was pretty good until.i found a deal.on a Nova 3000. Put the motor and VFD on that lathe and put the DC motor ba k on the Jline. Sold the Jline and purchased another bed extension for the Nova. Then the Powermatic 3520 came out. One days turning on one of those and i knew i had to have it so i started saving. Finally got the 3520A which i still use. Why am i telling you all.of this. Modifying a lathe can be done and if your ha dy with tools and electronics you can ha e.the satisfaction of saying you did it. However. It is such a pleasure to.turn on a modern well built machine that if there is any way in your budget to.buy a new one you will never regret it. All of the modifications i made were useful and did work but were all compromises..

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081