Turning

Subject:
Re: Because I am cheap!
Response To:
Because I am cheap! ()

Don Orr
Me Too! You have a lot of great suggestions on making your own skew so I'll let that be.
As for tool rests, I have made a few myself. I did several for our club's Jet mini lathes when the originals went missing. I used 3/4" square stock welded to 5/8" round stock with a corner of the square facing up for the tool to ride on. Just regular hot rolled steel available at many hardware dealers. Simple welding job which is good because I am no expert. I have a small MIG welder and it worked well. Ground the steel clean, good joint prep, preheat and Bob's your uncle. I have also done some out of 1" round stock for my big lathe and they work fine as well. Little welder did just fine for a unit that says it maxes out at 1/4". I'm not doing structural welding here. I have no problem with round bar tool rests like John L. My favorite and most used tool rest is made from 3/8" thick x 1.5" wide bar welded to 1" cold rolled rod at about a 45 deg. angle. The post is about an inch off center on the bar and is about 9" long. I also did one recently with a longer post for our club PM 3520B. Great fun and satisfaction to fabricate your own accessories. Give it a shot.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081