Turning

Subject:
Re: Small Drive Center??
Response To:
Small Drive Center?? ()

John K Jordan
>>>As I venture back into turning I would like to add a small drive center to my kit. I see some on eBay for about $25. Would appreciate any suggestions or if someone has one they would like to part with!!

Tom,

I turn a lot of thin spindles and my hands-down favorite is a 1/2" steb center with a spring-loaded point. I've been using one for many years and I use it with nearly all spindles, even most larger diameter than "thin." Sorby carries one but it might be hard to find a new one for $25.

You could make one from a cheap cup center (with a point) by grinding little teeth around the cup using a metal-cutting disk on a Dremel. That should work as well. However, I wouldn't want one unless the point was spring-loaded - you'd have to drill a larger hole each time to keep from splitting thin spindles from hard wood.

BTW I also use a 1/2" steb live center in the tailstock. I like it better than some of my other live centers because it is more compact.

You can also get a short, fat steb center that is gripped by a chuck. I have one but don't use it since the #2MT center is so much more convenient.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081