Turning

Subject:
Re: cbn wheels
Response To:
cbn wheels ()

David Smith
I purchased my CBN wheels from Ken and they arrived yesterday. His customer service is outstanding. I had an issue with a CBN wheel for my Tormek and without hesitation he replaced it. That is why I bought two cbn wheels for my bench grinder from him.

I considered the less expensive ones but I wanted the wider 1.5" wheel so that I don't accidentally fall off the edge while grinding, and some of my skews are wider than 1". I opted not to go with the radius edge as the only benefit I could find for it was sharpening hollowing bits and for that I'm already used to sharpening them on a stone without the radius edge. It was an option that I wouldn't have used all that often where as the extra 1/2" of grinding surface I would take advantage of every time I used the grinder to sharpen.

I chose an 80 grit for shaping and for my scrapers. And for the second wheel I received a 350 grit. I would have been happy with the 180 or the 220 grit as well. And if I was to purchase only one wheel it would be the 180 grit as from what I've read the consensus is this is the best all purpose grit.

I also second giving Ken at woodturningwonders a call, he's very helpful in helping to decide what would be a good fit for you.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081