Turning

Subject:
Saving the Nest

Don Stephan
It is possible that next year's queen or some late pupae may be hibernating in a nest. My dad brought inside in early winter a hornet's next or two, and a couple weeks later would find a couple adult hornets at a window, trying to get out.

Equally interesting is an underground yellow jacket nest. To kill an active underground nest, I would pour a couple ounces of gasoline in a paper cup and simply pour the gasoline into the hole as I walked past. Never got stung and did this 4 or 5 times. Environmentalists might scream, but I tried to kill a nest once using an entire can of wasp spray without success. And sometimes the location of the nest is a problem for family members, joggers, et cetera. After a few days, carefully dig up the nest. In Cincinnati the top of the nest seemed to be 3-5" below the surface, and the nest a sphere 7-10" in diameter. Follow the entrance hole carefully, the nest was always 6-10" to one side. At the entrance, the paper exterior was somehow reinforced, like a landing zone for coming and going.

(Who knows what discussion one will find next on WoodCentral? My apologies Ellis.)

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081