Turning

Subject:
Moron Beesw..., er, More On beeswax *PIC*
Response To:
Re: Beeswax (lol) ()

John K Jordan
Ha. More like a grouchy old codger!

I took a bunch of 1-oz or so pieces of beeswax pieces to a club meeting once, enough for everyone. Some thought it was funny and pretended to eat it. Each one did look like a chunk of cheese! (it certainly won't hurt you and some claim it has health benefits.) I think Sir Lucas was there that night to do a demo for us.

Last year I mailed some to woodturner Bill White who wanted to experiment with using it in finishes but the nearest source to him was, I think, a 50 mile drive.

Bill tried a number of recipes and this was his favorite formula:
Mixed the wax with BLO
40% wax/60% BLO.
Added a splash of EV olive oil to retard any drying from the BLO.
Mixture seems to be top notch.

I've seen a bunch of formulas; one is 1/3 each of BLO, mineral spirits, and beeswax. I believe Raffan uses an oil/beeswax paste applied to turnings with a rag.

BTW, the worst place to buy beeswax is from a woodworking supplier. The local store wants $3 and ounce. One guy who sells my honey at his shop wanted beeswax as well - I shamelessly charged him 50 cents an ounce. I felt bad later since it was probably worth a quarter.

Beeswax tidbit: Be aware that pure beeswax is naturally yellow. You can buy white beeswax but most is chemically bleached.

Another beeswax tidbit: Bees generate wax from honey with great effort: "To produce their wax, bees must consume about eight times as much honey by mass. It is estimated that bees collectively fly 150,000 miles, roughly six times around the earth, to yield one pound of beeswax" To increase the honey yield is the biggest reason beekeepers reuse the honey comb each year.

This is Gertrude, working on making some wax.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081