Turning

Subject:
Wandmaker - my favorite pastime! *PIC*
Response To:
Infamous Wandmaker ()

John K Jordan
>>>Wondering how you hold a thin spindle and turn without whipping, Mr. John. Or is this one of the wizard's secrets (chuckling)?

It's a big secret! I've made 100s of the wands and developed a combination of several techniques. Another example of thin spindles are these blackboard/whiteboard pointers, I forget, maybe 30" long. The light-colored one made from a piece of pine shelving board from Home Depot, tapering from 1/2" down to about 1/16". I don't use or even have a steady rest.

One "trick" is to turn a short morse taper on the end to hold in the spindle. This is a lot better than holding with a chuck for several reasons, for example there is no chuck to get in the way. A big bonus is I can take the spindle out off the lathe and remount it a month later in perfect registration - try that with a chuck!

When turning wands on a Jet mini lathe there is not enough bed length to allow a chuck for the lengths I like. I rarely try to sell anything but I did accidentally made a few thousand dollars when the Harry Potter books came out. Some of these kids waited several hours for a custom-made wand made to fit their hand, from wood they picked out.

Another "trick" is holding the skew/gouge with one hand while using the other hand to steady the work.

I do support with the tailstock until the end but when the spindle gets very thin that can get to be a problem so I sometimes remove the tailstock and hold the piece in the headstock with a drawbar to finish up.

Some wands.

Here is a relatively thick thin spindle - a handle for my favorite shuffle hoe, hickory, no steady rest, between centers. (A chuck would have made it easier but I was pushing the length of the lathe to the maximum - with the bed extension and the head and tailstock almost off the ends the handle was still not quite as long as I wanted it and a chuck would have made it even shorter.)

The secrets are so big I wrote a 10-page document for a handout out for when I did some demos on this. It's on two or three club websites (I could look for the URLs) or send me your email and I'll send a PDF.

Have skew, will travel (if you want a demo at your club). I may even pass out wand blanks. :) Or if driving through E. TN one day drop in and we can make wands!

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081