Turning

Subject:
Diamond hone, dry and wet

John K Jordan
Don, I do the same - I use the little Eze-Lap diamond "paddle" hones dry on turning tool edges, mostly the extra fine grit. I like the control I get holding it with my forefinger on the end - I find this much easier to control that the credit card size I started out with. BTW, these things are pretty expensive but I discovered I could buy them directly from the Eze-Lap company at a huge discount in quantity - I have a lifetime supply now.

I use the lapping fluid for the diamond honing "plates" - I special-ordered a variety of 3"x8" plates from Ken Rizza. I originally got these for lapping ceramic cutters for the livestock shears I use on the llamas and alpacas. The ceramic cutters last a lot longer than steel but they expensive and are throwaway when dull. A 1/2 hour with the diamond plates (with Trend fluid) and they are good as new. I also use these on my carving tools. I also use the Trend fluid on my 1200 grit CBN wheel on the Tormek when sharpening my spindle gouges.

BTW, Rizza also sells CBN honing plates. I bought some on impulse to try then had buyers remorse - when I thought of the reason CBN was better than diamond for high speed wheels (the heat) and the relative hardness of CBN vs diamond, I wished I'd skipped the CBN. I have a set of 6 CBN grits on three plates if anyone is interested, new condition! For now, I'm using them as weights to hold hair-thin wires in place to support small turnings for photography.:)

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081