Turning

Subject:
duplicating turnings *PIC*

john lucas
Well I didn't have to go from a drawing. My customer brought me 2 finials. Both just a little different. He needed 6. these aren't exact duplicates because the price we decided on dictated that. The spindles will be 12 feet in the air and 6 feet apart so for all practical purposes they are identical.
Here are the tools I have laid out to get all the dimensions accurate. The only wood I could get was just a hair too small so I subtracted 8% from all the dimensions. Unless you measure you will never be able to tell I did that. Here is one of the finials he left me. All the tools are labeled by number and a written description of the steps I planned to turn matches those numbers. So I just look at step #1 and then pick up the # 1 measuring tools. Outside calipers for the dimensions. Pointed calipers for the spacing.
Here is a photo of one of them just before I started sanding. We have been having a discussion on another website about what grind I use and whether or not a finer grind leaves a better finish. This was done mostly with my Thompson 1/2" spindle gouge ground on a 180 grit CBN wheel and then honed using a 600 grit diamond hone. I think the finish speaks for itself. I just touched them up with 180 grit. He is going to paint them so I could have just left them alone but I wanted them all to look really finished when i handed them over to him and the sandpaper evens out the appearance.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081