Turning

Subject:
Re: Turning blanks for boxes
Response To:
Turning blanks for boxes ()

john lucas
Haven't read what the others have said but i make a lot of blanks for ornaments, and boxes and maybe spindle turnings in general. What I do is when a log starts to split and I know I won't get around to turning bowls or other large things I go to the bandsaw. I then cut squares as big as I can at first and as long as I can handle on the bandsaw. Usually that's between 16 and 20" (think firewood size). I might get a 5x5 piece, and then some 4x4 or 3x3 and on down to 1x1 for finials and such. Sometimes I saw them into rectangles because I might end up using them for short wide boxes.
I seal the ends by dipping them in melted wax.
I put them up and weight them occasionally. When they stop losing weight I know they are dry. May take a year or more on larger pieces.
I really lose very little. I don't like to rough turn boxes and put them up because it means I have to make them that size when I get back to them. If I let the wood dry fairly large then I can make whatever box suits my fancy. When I get around to turning one I do turn them almost to size and let them sit up overnight to stabilize. I have made quite a few without doing this and they seem to be OK but If I want a really good fit especially with threaded lids I let them stabilize.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081