Turning

Subject:
Re: Are you trying to remove the chuck or index?

John K Jordan
>>>John.....I'm not using my index pin to lock-up the spindle.....indexing pins are only designed to index.

I didn't think so, but I mentioned that in case someone reading thought that might be a good idea. The thread from the fellow who broke his casting indicated the new Grizzly and perhaps some of the older models are designed it this way, I assume to save a few dollars. The gentleman wrote "According to my Manual they are indexing holes also used as a spindle lock." Some others in the thread proposed a solution to avoid this problem - use a different index hole on the casting with a little more metal around it. Yikes!

Do you think you will use the indexing? If so, I hope it's better than that on the Jet and Powermatic lathes - those are horrible! Not the least bit intuitive and the some of the angles I wanted were missing. Perhaps your lathe has better indexing. I bought an indexing wheel that fits on the spindle behind the chuck with many angles, all clearly labeled.

BTW, I always use a wrench to remove chucks. I've bought several used chucks and one was deformed from using a chuck key. Knowing this guy and seeing other damage to a second chuck from him, he probably used a cheater bar on everything. Or maybe he turned into the Hulk in his shop. :)

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081