Turning

Subject:
Re: What are your woodturning lessons learned?

Jerry Maske
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got. And for some folks, that's okay. I like to move on into different things. How many Maple bowls do I need catching dust?

Basic skills, are a necessity, but David Ellsworth is quick to tell you that there's more than one way to do anything, and MANY people will tell you not to do it that way. Their reasoning is that isn't the way they were taught. I learned a long time ago that there are ways to do things that will break the windows in the front of the shop, but there's usually three or four other ways that are safe, sane and produce good results.

The sharpening thing is a good point too. If your tools aren't sharp, you aren't going to cut and turn with them. I think we make too much of bevel angles, for example, and it comes down to the old axiom; if it works, don't fix it . Why get anal on the bevel angle of a scraper? When was the last time that bevel actually touched the wood? Different bevel angles will give you sharper edges, but they may need to be polished more often, so learn what's really going on so you understand the process and can make it work.

David says he didn't know you weren't supposed to use this tool or that one to do a specific process. So he kept trying different ways and found that the more ways he could find to do a job, the better chance he had of getting it done. I agree.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081