Turning

Subject:
Re: Thoughts on collet chucks......

David Walser
I have two sets of collet chucks. One is a set of Morse taper collets from Little Machine Shop. The second is chuck from Craft Supplies USA that screws onto the spindle. I find them both to be very useful.

When drilling on the lathe, I prefer to use a collet in the tailstock's Morse taper. A collet holds the drill bit more accurately than a Jacob's chuck and I don't have to worry about the Jacob's chuck coming loose as I back the dill bit out of the work. I also like that the collet is much more compact (I have a short-bed lathe).

I also use the Morse taper collets in the headstock. However, the chuck from CSUSA is quicker to install. In addition, it allows me to mount a long dowel in the headstock and pull out just a little bit at a time. Very nice for repetitive tasks such as birdhouse perches or finials. Also, the CSUSA collets go up to 3/4", while the Morse taper collets max out at 1/2". So, while there are lots of times either version would work, they are not perfect substitutes for each other.

A downside to the CSUSA set is there is a fairly large gap (1/8") in size between the included collets. The collets only have a range of movement of 1/32", so it's fairly easy to make a tenon that's too large for one and too large for the next. I can solve that problem by buying more ER-32 collets. I've just not got around to that.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081