Turning

Subject:
Kiln dried

Dick Coers
When I first started turning, I bought a reeves drive Delta lathe in a package deal with a set of carbon steel chisels and an expanding chuck. No 4 jaw woodturning chucks in those days. This was in 1986. I had no idea what I was doing, and had a miserable time. I was trying to turn kiln dried 8/4 stock. It was dusty and the cheap carbon steel chisels needed constant sharpening. No sharpening fixtures in those days either, and I had no skills to hand rotate and sharpen the chisels. It was pure misery. I finally relegated the lathe to a back corner of the shop and let it collect dust. Then I went to a regional symposium in St Louis a few years latter. Every bowl turner was using fresh cut wood, and much better chisels. They were throwing curls 6' into the air. They didn't have to sharpen the tools during the whole demo. It was an epiphany. Then while employed at Woodworker's Journal Magazine, we went for a 2 day with John Jordan. There I was taught technique and design. I came home and really started to enjoy myself and have turned a lot since then. The reason I mentioned the Oneway was that was about the 2nd purchase I made when I got back. In those days, John even sold the Oneway. So that was my journey. Sure you can turn kiln dried for boxes and such, but it really makes it a job to turn bowls and vessels.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081