Turning

Subject:
Re: long thin spindles *PIC*
Response To:
Re: long thin spindles ()

Dennis in Southern Oregon
John, the following picture shows the device I made to provide tension on the spindle. You are correct; you need a drawbar to keep the live center in place. The make-up of the unit, reading left to right is as follows: a nut to fit the piece of all-rod used for the drawbar, the aluminum “chuck” threaded to fit the nose of the live center, the live center, the tailstock (not shown), a fender washer, a shop-made aluminum bearing outer retainer, a ball thrust bearing, a shop-made aluminum bearing inner retainer, a spring that requires a measured 55 pounds of pressure to fully close it, a fender washer, and finally a wing nut. All of the added parts are light weight and of small diameter so do not add a lot of moment of inertia to the basic live center.
To use it, I chuck the spindle between a Vicmarc chuck with pin jaws and the shop made aluminum chuck attached to the live center and drive a small screw through the aluminum chuck to lock the tenon in place. With tailstock unlocked, I extend the live center a few inches (more than the amount of compression that the spring will experience). Then, I lock the tailstock in position, run the wing nut up against the washer and the inner bearing retainer, and retract the live center until the spring is completely compressed.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081