Turning

Subject:
Drying Wood

Jerry Maske
It's a standard joke; put twelve wood turners in a group, ask a question and you'll get THIRTEEN answers. And drying wood is one of those. It's been talked over a lot here and on other forums. Well, I thought I understood what I was doing with it, until things started cracking under conditions I'd never have expected.

The BIG issue is Green Wood. I took down a Maple. 24" diameter and have some nice sized pieces out of it. Cut out the pith and "Rough Turned" two pieces into different shapes. One was a fairly aggressive hollow form and the other is a Dough Bowl my bride requested. Turned both without difficulty.

In the past, when I've turned a piece green, I've left the walls and bottom a little thick and set the piece out to dry. They always have dried without issue. Went to check on these two and they were LOADED with cracks!

Some time back I learned a Potter's trick about curing cracks and tried it. Put wet paper towels over the cracks and put the pice in a plastic bag. And it worked perfectly on the wood; no cracks. Did it the second day just to be sure and this morning both pieces looked good enough that I didn't put the wet paper towels on them, but DID put them back in a plastic bag. I'll keep them in plastic for a day or so and see what happened.

My reason for this post is that Something Has Changed, and I don't know what. Local Maple has always behaved itself when drying and has NEVER caused any trouble, as long as I got the pith out. So I have no clue what happened, but now I know that I have to, at the very least, keep a close watch on something I turn wet. And if it starts showing cracks, shift to recovery mode.

I know all this has been kicked around a lot, but I was wondering if someone can spot something in my process I got wrong. I don't have any problem taking my time with this stuff, so if there's something else I should have done, please tell me. Hate Cracks!

Jerry

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081