Turning

Subject:
The Osprey is round, the Hercules is rectangular

john lucas
I have a design in mind that I'm going to play with, although I may not get to build it until next weekend. I'll use the large Hunter cutter and mount it so that it will face the wall of a vessel. I'm going to try and make a wooden mock up today with swiveling joints so that I can play with the angle of the cutter to get a shear scrape on as much of the inside of a hollow vessel as I can reach with one tool. These cutters leave a very smooth finish when used as shear scrapers and I think If I can find the right angle this will be a very good tool for final cleaning up of hollow forms.
right now I'm still playing with the #1 mounted in a lyle Jamieson swiveling head. If your really careful you can get a really good finish. The problem is the cutter cuts so easily it takes a lot of skill to get a smooth finish with no dips where the cutter takes too big of a bite. Probably if I did a lot more hollow forms I would learn to use this tool. I'm hoping my design with the larger cutter and a shear angle will give a clean cut without the little dips.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081