Turning

Subject:
Re: humbling experience with skew

John K Jordan
...only when I tighten the grip and press really firmly down that I can control it. (Sort of.)

Eliot, I've seen various problems with some woods, but not repeated catches. Are the catches long point dig-ins or those that make a spiral down the cylinder?

When I run into something that gives me problems I make sure the gouge is pressed down firmly onto the tool rest with my left hand, but keep a light touch with the controlling hand. However, most of the time I have a light touch in both hands, often just a thumb on the shaft at the toolrest for steadying.

Another thing I do when I have trouble with any particular skew - try one with a different grind. I have a number so this is easy. For example, one with a small included angle, say 25-deg, cuts better but can be more difficult to control than one with a larger angle, say closer to 40-deg. I find that the 40-deg skews are easier for a beginner to control, also. A skew slightly rounded across the edge also behaves a bit differently.

Also, some wood just doesn't agree with the skew. I have some osage orange that chips badly when I use the type of planing cuts that work perfectly on almost every other type of wood.

When you first hear the clicking sounds, do you stop and inspect the wood?

I don't know if this would help, but I usually run spindles that size at a faster speed. Sharp, honed edge of course. Are you using a relatively small skew? A large skew with greater mass usually feels better to me on a diameter that large. (I mostly turn thin spindles.)

Do you have another skew user close by? They might take a look, try your skew and their own, help pin down the problem. I've got some students coming this afternoon, but maybe tonight I can chuck up a piece of hard maple that size and try some of my skews.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081