Turning

Subject:
Re: HELP!!! I need Woodturner jokes!! *OT* (sort

John K Jordan
Jim, the one I've used several times and got good laughs was actually a true story. I used it a couple of times during turning demos (in different clubs, of course). However, I have no idea if it would work for your venue since it doesn't sound like the "secrets" setup would work.

I started by straight-manning myself with a line about giving the group all of my secrets about turning long, thin spindles.

Then I told about the time...

... I was at a ventriloquist convention a few years ago. (good fun!) A well-know performer was giving a little seminar on audience interaction and brought up dealing with spontaneous interaction. Basically, he said it was too risky, it almost always flops. But he said every once in a while something works out.

He was doing a show in Las Vegas and after he did a magic trick some guy in the audience yelled down "How'd you do that?"

He gave the guy the standard answer, "If I told you I'd have to kill you."

There was a perfect pause and the guy hollered back: "Tell my wife."

It brought the house down. The next night he hired a guy to sit in the audience and holler "How'd you do that?" !!!

Of course, I ad libbed a little and as always, timing and expression is everything. As I said, I have no idea if it would work for your venue.

There are a couple of threads on "You might be a woodworker if" on another forum, incuding lines like this line from 2007 post: "...Your pickup has oversize brakes and a quick-release mount for your chain saw."
You buy a bandsaw that costs more than your lathe... for the sole purpose of rounding out bowl blanks.

I didn't read but a couple. This is one guy's post.
I liked this line: "You name your kids “Chuck” and “Burl”..."
Others lines in this post, maybe not so much:

You feel this unexplainable emptiness every time you throw a piece of wood in the fire...
You have some really nice power tools in your shop... and you struggle to remember the last time you used them.
You have a hard time finding a pen around the house that isn't made of wood... and you give your wife and kids nasty looks any time they pick up a plastic pen.
Your wife doesn't bother to call around looking for you any more. She just goes out to the shop when she needs you for anything.
You nearly caused a car accident because you thought you saw some logs on the side of the road…
You name your dogs “Banjo”, “Jet”, “Oliver”, or “Spalty”
At your spouse’s suggestion, you put a telephone, TV, and refrigerator in your shop... so you don't have to "carry sawdust into the house all day."
You really - honestly - whole-heartedly - are torn between taking that vacation in Hawaii and buying that new big-bad lathe with the 25" swing.
You think that any round or cylindrical household item can - and should - be replaced by something you make... from table legs to the toilet paper roll holder.
You’ve walked around your neighborhood – checking your neighbors’ trees for burls.
Golf clubs? Yeah… they’re around here somewhere.
Heat on in the shop? Absolutely. Heat on in the house? “Go put on a sweater.”

Maybe there is a gem or two or at least a gem of an idea somewhere in these threads you could turn into a good joke or two. (I think there are a lot of messages) Send me a note if you want some links.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081