Trivia

Subject:
Re: Late Friday Puzzler -- 100 Prisoners

david weaver
Figuring there are 100 prisoners and disregarding the light, it seems like 96 visits can occur each day. So day one is a bad day to claim freedom, even if it starts at midnight.

the chance that an individual is not chosen at least once by the end of day one is 0.99^(96)

Dumping this into a spreadsheet, I figure that (I'm missing something, but) the chance that someone has visited the warden after a certain number of iterations is 1-(0.99^(number of 15 minute sessions))

then, there are a hundred individuals, so after a certain larger number of iterations, the probability that all of the individuals have seen the warden is 1 minus this (per individuals) ^(100)

after 200 separate visits, that would yield a chance of claiming on the 200th that everyone had visited the warden of 1 in 1.8 million. Not good.

After 600 iterations, there's a 78% chance that everyone has been to the room. A drastic difference. Many, of course, have been there multiple times.

I need to factor in the light now.

23 years since probability, I think I'm out of steam to figure out how many times a chosen person should see the light on before they turn it off and claim all have been to the room.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081