Subject:
Glad it's working *PIC*

John K Jordan
Excellent!

You might be able to get a screw that will work from the hardware store. Did you lose it while working on/with the saw? I keep a strong magnetic sweep for steel parts and a metal detector for brass/aluminum.

I don't enjoy doing a lot of ripping with a chainsaw. I assume you are using a ripping chain.
I bought a manual LT15 WoodMizer bandsaw mill in 2014 (I think) and can highly recommend it. I can cut 16' logs up to about 28" diam. The shortest log it will support is about 48" but I use it to cut up small pieces with a sacrificial "L-shaped" wooden fence. Good for making bowl blanks.

I use a couple of other tools with my chainsaws which help a lot. One spreads the gap in the bar if it gets too tight from pinching, the other tightens the gap if it gets too loose from wear. With the proper gap things are easier and cuts are straighter.

I buy such things, plus all my bars and chains, from Bailey's OnLine. https://www.baileysonline.com/
You probably know that chainsaw bars should be flipped every other sharpening or so, and filed when they wear enough to make sharp edges. I tend to buy Bailey's bar and chain combos with a couple of extra chains so I change the bars regularly.

I don't know how much hardening is on a chainsaw tooth. The steel seems pretty soft to me when sharpening with a file.

However, I seldom use a file anymore. I bought a good Oregon sharpener a few years back and it saves SO much time.

I've also bought a few carbide chains in the last couple of years. Years ago they were unreasonably expensive but have come way down. When they get dull I sharpen with a diamond bit in a Dremel but a friend of mine gets his sharpened at local shop for $10.

While on the subject of chainsaws, for those who cut away from the shop an extra saw is helpful if the blade gets pinched. However, just as good is taking an extra bar and chain (and wrench!) and remove the head on the stuck saw use the spare bar to cut out the first one. But since I started using wedges more I seldom get a pinched saw. It's amazing to me that a little plastic wedge can hold the gap open on a 5000 lb suspended log.

JKJ

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081