Subject:
Agree with Bill
Response To:
answer ()

Bryan in Broad Ripple, IN
People don't really realize the actual costs associated with USA manufacturing. Before they off-shored their drill presses, the smaller USA made Powermatic and Delta drill presses were in the same price range as a their cabinet saws (PM-66 and Unisaw). The larger ones were more expensive yet.

Most woodworkers are pretty frugal (cheap?). Lots of people believe that they would gladly pay higher prices for high quality tools. Not enough people will pay these prices when they realize what those costs actually are.

If you want the best combination of price and performance, restoring a good quality & good condition, old drill press is the way to go...if you have that option available to you.

FWIW, my shortlist for Drill press features:

- low runout at the chuck and spindle (this makes or breaks a drill press)
- low vibration
- size and capacity of the press
- smoothly operating chuck (nice, but not as important as the chuck can be replaced and upgraded)

My drill presses are a 1970, Rockwell 17" variable speed model, and a 1948 Atlas 15" model. I bought and restored both. Both are very smooth and very accurate. The 17" model is my day-to-day press for it's ease of use since it's variable speed. My Atlas isn't used quite as much since it's a manual speed control (move belts around)...but it is more accurate.

Good Luck!
-Bryan

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081