Subject:
Re: Two questions *PIC*
Response To:
Re: Two questions ()

Mark Hennebury
Its hard to tell what the practical advantage is, many of the slight improvements in performance would go unnoticed by the purchaser of the finished product, and only be of interest to the maker. Some improvements may result in reduction in processing steps, which has a direct affect on the bottom line and others may have offer an increase in quality, which any or may not have any monetary value.

Some developments like replaceable knives, offer good benefits, like consistent quality, quick change-over, and repeatable accuracy of the cutting circle, and they do away with having to get tools re-sharpened.

Many different opinions in woodworking, no tolerance specifications, means everything is up to the market to decide. That goes for the end purchaser of the wood products and also the woodworkers who purchase the tools and machines.

Some people are okay with the finish left by a hollow chisel mortiser, and don't see any point to get a smoother surface inside a joint, where it won't be seen. Some do loose tenons and leave room in the mortise to slide the tenon side to side to line up, and don't think that the tenons need be tight on the end of the mortise, others do tight fitting joints that have to be accurately cut to fit.

You can't use a supersurfacer unless you have very clean working habits, any dirt or grit on the wood will degrade the blade edge. Yet I have seen people ( in North America) pick wood up off a concrete floor to put through a supersurfacer.

There is a difference in mindset required in working to higher tolerances, there is an education and a refining of habits, process and awareness required. Maybe in Japan that mindset and those habits are more part of the culture and training in the field of woodworking, and maybe more of a personal, individual thing here. Woodworking seems all over the map, with everyone having different opinions on how things should be done.

My own personal interest was to see how far you could go, how sharp, how clean and precise joints could be cut, and seeking out the best tools, machines and processes to do it efficiently. It wasn't market driven, it wasn't because my customers asked for it, it was just the way I saw it.

Everyone has there own point of view and it always makes for interesting discussions on the forums.

Two table saws, one is $1600 the other $60,000

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081