Subject:
Using polyurethane...
Response To:
no disagreements ()

David Weaver
When building poly several coats in row, I've always applied them at intervals and skipped sanding. Mind the discussion, this may be a total of 10 items, but none had an issue.

I view the sanding between coats less as a matter of adhesion and more as something that helps make the last coat look good without sanding back a lot.

I do what Mark said for waterborne finishes with crosslinker on guitar, though - the coats are relatively far apart. Then I do the initial wetsanding and buffing of the finish before it's fully cured so that if it's thin somewhere, I can continue to spray. I've never sprayed more on something 2 days old or more.

In terms of reactivity, I had crosslinked finish at one point in the past that seemed to be mostly cured after a day and learned a lesson - I put the top of a case that was rubbed out and to be attached to my first bookcase on top of a trash can. The finish reacted with the garbage bag badly and I had to scrape it off and redo it. The reaction was very thorough (this was a stew mac WB instrument finish that's probably just one of the target products in a different can for more money).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081