Subject:
back to my know nothingness..
Response To:
Re: It's In There :) ()

David Weaver
..when you make varnish, you can control how hard the varnish is by choice of resins. I think (but not sure) you can also control its penetration by making it higher in resins. So, something like dammar would make a hard varnish, but by itself, it's a bit brittle. I think it's commonly used by artists, who probably aren't going to fold their paintings around and smack them and won't care that it dries kind of hard.

Pine and dammar seems to be a nice choice, but the amount of resin is quite a lot.

I used this recipe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5JTATnl4k

Damar 150grams
Calophony (pine resin) 100grams
Linseed 213grams
Liquid wood ash 250grams
Slacked Line 0.6teaspoon
Gum Turpentine 125grams

thanks to the magic of the internet, you don't have to know what slacked line is, you can just find it and buy it. I did have to burn some maple, and strain water through the ash (through a coffee filter).

it wasn't an unpleasant process, though the cooking took place outdoors (I understand that the potential fireball that occurs when the mixture starts to link has burned down plenty of buildings. I didn't get a fireball, but George said he's made a couple of small mushroom clouds in his back yard)

I guess if this wasn't enjoyable, $35 wouldn't seem that bad. Just wondering on the side, does the seeming (but not confirmed - something could be left out of the msds) focus on oils vs. resins make the waterlox stuff more penetrating and less of something that would sit on the surface (which is what the violin makers were looking for - no more than the minimum possible penetration into the wood).

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081