Subject:
True...
Response To:
Why.... ()

John in NM
Less crosslinking leads to less heat. Presumably less hardness, but also no cracking and bubbles, thanks to the reduced heat.

Slightly softer fill material didn't seem to be a problem, but cracks and bubbles to be filled later required more time spent by the cabinet makers and finishers. If the cured filler were really soft and rubbery (like 5 minute epoxy with acetone and Transtint added) then I doubt the practice would have continued past the first attempt. It was less than ideal but apparently good enough.

I honestly can't un-recommend the approach because it works ok, with one product, in spite of being a chemically illiterate short cut. The discussion has provided a much better context of the risks of using it however, which is always useful.

As to the big voids, Sonoran mesquite often has them, especially around crotch wood. Mesquite stuff sold well in Tucson. It made less sense in a small shop to have two different filler products than have an informal practice of short hardener mixes for filling huge holes.

Sometimes the boss liked to shape a block of scrap mesquite to fill the hole with epoxy around it, but I felt that only looked good if it looked real - like when you'd see a branch section coming out of one of the big cracked voids. It was hard to do well, so it was rarely done.

Obvious question is why anyone would try to make furniture out of this stuff at all.... well, it sold well. The wood itself is pretty for the most part, though I personally don't care for the cracked and filled look.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081