Subject:
clarification..... safe...
Response To:
Re: I run.. ()

David Weaver
If I have a tool that's sparking and there is dust collection, the tool is not a wood and metal and wood and metal tool, it's metal only.

I don't sand much woodworking, so my sanders are for metal work only. The run of hose that the sparks go through doesn't mix metal and dust. That's extremely unsafe - especially if there's a chance of both going through at the same time.

I just ground some bolsters on chisels with a purple belt that runs 4800 feet per minute (36 grit). The spark coming off is so coarse that it was landing on my feet (not wearing socks) and I could feel it burning and smell it burning. I moved my feet. If those sparks were going into a machine that had wood dust, there's almost no chance they wouldn't create smoke at a minimum. Even when they hit each other where a pile of swarf collects, they fuse to each other a little bit.

I hadn't thought that much about the cyclone until this came up - the reason I'm using it (and there *is* wood dust in the barrel below it), is because I don't want all of the black dust going straight through to the shop vac and clogging it right away. The small dust deputy that's no good for anything more than a sander is excellent for metal dust - it'll swirl the spark around that goes through a 10 foot hose for a while before it's allowed to either drop into the can or the little bit of it that makes it's way past and gets to the vacuum.

I can say for sure also that a flat belt that I have that runs only 2200 feet per minute will literally allow the spark to burn the plywood table that the machine is on, so I leave a cushion of metal swarf under the bottom of the belt where the spark is directed - otherwise the ply table top will capture spark and a ribbon of smoke is the result (stinky).

The way I'm doing things is safe. using a dust capture system on the same tools that I have with wood dust around the machines or in line somewhere, definitely not.

Worked at a cabinet factory when I was in college, and the year before I'd gotten there, someone swept screws into one of the capture points and it started a fire as it sparked through the metal dust lines with the wood dust coming through at the same time. Bad situation.

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081