Subject:
Re: Hand Plane Till questions
Response To:
Hand Plane Till questions ()

Jack Dover
I have built a tilted rack. I have trust issues with magnets, so to prevent planes from a crash on a concrete floor I made these "braces" at the toe, where you push a toe first and then is slides a 1/4" back. A shelf, even a basic one, not only protects from dust, but it also seems to help with rusting, probably by slowing changes in humidity down - I have noticed there's less flash rusting once I've started putting tools in boxes or behind closed doors. Could be important if you're living in a high humidity area.

But if I would have enough space and a proper shop I would just do a tray (or several) lined with a piece of oiled carpet somewhere within my arm reach. They're called bench planes for a reason apparently and out of all features of rack and shelves the most important one is how fast can you garb a plane and then put it back. I think I would find most of the tills from pictures just annoying, they would require me carefully pulling a plane and putting it back would have be even more careful. So all those shoestring loops, mobile tills, holster like holders, etc. - they seem to be just for show

© 1998 - 2017 by Ellis Walentine. All rights reserved.
No parts of this web site may be reproduced in any form or by
any means without the written permission of the publisher.

WOODCENTRAL, P.O. BOX 493, SPRINGTOWN, PA 18081